God’s view of people is worth pondering! Their past – purposed before the creation of the world (Ephesians 4:1) & created in his image (Genesis 1:27). What their destiny is to rule and reign with Christ (Revelation 5:10)
Yet somewhere between these 2 realites, people get lost. They forget who they really are, and how incredible their future is. There are 5 key barriers to honouring people as God sees them. When we overcome these barriers, not only do we view people as God views them, we help them discover their true heritage and destiny.
In each of these cases, Jesus shows how much He honours people, both setting an example for us to follow, and a power for us to use.
- Our view of ourselves: In Luke 10:27-28, Jesus stresses the need to love our neighbour as ourselves. There is a great need for ‘God esteem’, (not self-esteem), valuing ourselves as God does. This overcomes insecurity and pride in our dealing with others.
- Time ‘busyness”: In Mark 10:46-52, Jesus is interrupted by Bartimaus, yet in a busy schedule, stops and attends to His needs
- Money: In John 2:7-10, Jesus extravagantly provides the finest wine, to overcome a social embarrassment.
- Cultural Barriers: In John 4:5-9, Jesus breaks cultural rules of race and gender to minister to a broken lady and bring hope to an entire village.
- That People matter above all else: In John 3:16, the thrust of the Gospel, demonstrates God’s determination to reach out to a broken world.
Praying for you this week as you overcome these things – for you are an overcomer! (1 John 5:4)